- Disabling but not a life threatening disease.
- Easy to diagnose but needs specialist’s help in treatment.
- Migraine is episodic disease with combination of Headache, neurological, gastro intestinal or autonomic features.
- Headache is one of the features which need not always be present – So patient may consult eye specialist or gastroenterologist.
- Classical Patient: One or both sided headache in temple and forehead, throbbing or pulsating, associated with nausea or vomiting,aversion to light & sound, which increases with bending / physical activity. It is relieved with vomiting & sleep.
- Heterogeneous Disease – Patient wise & symptom wise. So treatment is individual oriented.
- Is seen in children also.
- It is a myth that there is no treatment.
- Analgesics in emergency are not the only treatment during headache.
- Avoid triggering factors.
- Medication for immediate relief.
- Medication for prevention of further attacks.
Consequences of untreated Migraine:
- Increased irritability
- Poor work efficiency
- Relationship issues at home
- Anxiety & /Depression
WHEN TO CONSULT A NEUROLOGIST
If attacks are frequent & / or are disabling affecting personal / professional life.