WHAT IS STROKE BRAIN ATTACK ?
Brain Stroke or attack causes sudden onset weakness/paralysis of a part of body. It is equivalent of heart attack. In brain attack symptoms depend on which part of brain is affected.
It is of two types.
In the first one, which is common, there is reduction in blood supply to brain damage.
In the second one there is rupture of blood vessal in brain i.e. brain hemorrhage.
- Sudden onset of weakness/numbness of one side of part of body.
- Sudden problem in speech.
- Sudden and double vision.
- Unsteadiness in gait, difficulty in swallowing.
- Acute headache with or without paralysis.
Remember- F.A.S.T. For early detection & timely action.
F: Facial deviation.
A: Arm Weakness.
S: Speech Slurring.
T: Time to Act fast to save Brain.
Sometimes one can have mini strokes. i.e. above symptoms lasting for a short duration and patient may recover completely but in more than 50% of these patients, develop complete stroke with in 48 hrs of mini stroke, so do not ignore mini stroke.
S – Smile T – Talk } Can also help to detect early stroke. R – Raise Arm
Risk Factors: Old age, high Cholesterol, Blood Pressure, Diabetes mellitus, Smoking ,alcohol & oral contraceptives & family history of Stroke. CONSULT AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE – BECAUSE.
CONSULT AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE – BECAUSE.
- Treatment is different for both types of stroke i.e. ischemic (Brain Clotting) & hemorrhagic (bleeding) So early consultation with neurologist is a must for diagnosis.
- Early treatment leads to long term better relief.
- Longer the duration of reduction of blood supply to brain greater is the damage. Clot busters/dissolving drugs can be given within 3 hours of onset of stroke. It is very important that the patient reaches the hospital in the first three hours of the onset Of stroke. If the treatment is provided within this time frame the chances of recovery improves manifold.
- Ischemic Stroke: Medicines to control B. P.,Sugar. Brain swelling can be reduced by medicines, ventilation & Surgery.
- Hemorrhagic Stroke: Control B. P., Sugar. Reduce brain swelling,Surgery.
- Specific investigations: C. T. Scan, MRI. Brain, MR Angiography of Brain & neck,Digital Subtraction Angiography