- In this disease the basic fault is at neuromuscular function. So mostly skeletal muscles of body are involved.
- Symptoms are characterized by fluctuant / intermittent / temporary weakness of muscles of different parts of body Which is precipitated /aggravated by exercise / physical exertion & relieved by rest. So patient is better in morning after waking up from sleep. One may feel weakness after exertion. Hence it is also called Fatigue Paralysis.
- When chest muscles are involved the patient feels breathless on exertion which may be misinterpreted as heart & lung problem. Severe involvement of chest muscles is medical emergency.
- Different muscles of body are not involved equally so symptoms will vary depending on degree of involvement of different muscles.
- Common Symptoms: Drooping of lids, Double Vision , Difficulty in chewing & swallowing, Change in voice (Nasal Twang) while prolonged talking. Breathlessness on exertion. Hand & legs weakness on exertion.
- Relevant investigations done are anti acetylcholine receptor antibody in blood, CT, Scan / MRI of chest for detecting thymoma & Repetitive nerve stimulation.
- Tab. Pyridostigmine / Neostigmine for symptomatic relief.
- Disease modifying medicines
- Thymus Surgery.